"Slash" in figured bass

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: "Slash" in figured bass
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 13:02:44 +0200

Folks (& especially: Dear Werner),

in his "Anleitung zum Generalbasse" (and the accompanying "Practische Beyspiele") from the early 1800s, E. A. Förster uses a "slash" symbol in figured bass to denote a chord that is being described relative not to the current but to the next bass note.

From Förster's book: https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/view/bsb10527178?page=64 ex. 141 I also attach an example from his "Practische Beyspiele", in which a slightly different layout is being used in which the slash and the figure are put separately over their respective notes.

Of course it wouldn't be hard to cook up a solution (using \markup in figures) for both styles, but I'd like to do it "the right way": Do we already have a suitable slash symbol? If not, how should it be designed? Has anybody of you already used this symbol?

Lukas

PS. Let me take this opportunity to say huge thanks again to Werner for his massive recent improvements in figured bass: With the new proper glyphs for slashed and plussed figures LilyPond can finally be used for scientifically accurate figured bass engraving.