|From:||Mark Stephen Mrotek|
|Subject:||RE: RE: Installing 2.24.1|
|Date:||Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:46:47 -0700|
Thank you for the detailed instructions suited for a non-programmer!
Shall work on it in the morning.
From: Jeff Olson [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
On 3/11/2023 10:37 PM, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:
My experience installing Lilypond is with the Windows Installer.
Quoting the Graphical setup under Windows:
"The file will a ZIP archive called ‘lilypond-x.y.z-mingw-x86_64.zip’
(where “mingw” means it’s for Windows). Extract this in the file explorer.
Place the resulting directory lilypond-x.y.z-mingw-x86_64 in a permanent
location; the actual folder doesn’t matter, you just need to put it somewhere
you won’t move it afterwards. For example, you could choose your home folder."
Actually, on Windows the folder *does* matter.
Depending upon where you want the installed location to be, you may
need to do some extra steps to overtly "run as administrator". Previous
releases of LilyPond used the Windows installer to handle this aspect
for you (the familiar "Do you want to allow this program to make changes
on your computer?"). But the extract step in the 2.24 instructions fails
if you choose the typical (protected) Windows place under Program Files.
Here are "some more detailed instructions" (Win 10) for that case:
1) Download lilypond-2.24.1-mingw-x86_64.zip from https://lilypond.org/download.html
2) Click the Windows "Start" icon in lower left
3) Scroll way down to see WinZip (alternatively File Manager)
4) Right click WinZip and select More > Run as administrator
5) Answer "Yes" to allow this program to make changes
6) Select the icon for Open WinZip File
7) Browse to where you put the download in step 1)
8) See prompt "Would you like to unzip the contents of this Zip file now?"
9) Select "Yes, unzip the files to a folder I choose"
10) Navigate to e.g. C:\Program Files\LilyPond and unzip
This produces C:\Program Files\LilyPond\lilypond-2.24.1 with the .exe
at C:\Program Files\LilyPond\lilypond-2.24.1\bin\lilypond.exe
This .exe location is what you specify in Frescobaldi.
If you're a tinkerer and might make changes to some of the LilyPond
script files, you would be better off choosing a location under your
home directory, as the instructions suggest. The complication of
running as administrator is only needed if you want to protect the
installed files from inadvertent modification.
|[Prev in Thread]||Current Thread||[Next in Thread]|