Documentation: Should we possibly have aliases for current stable and cu

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Documentation: Should we possibly have aliases for current stable and current devel?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:48:14 +0100

Hello Pondmates!

I’ve been wondering recently: When acessing the documentation we are usually
acessing a specific version, we have something like

lilypond.org/doc/v2.xy/whatever

This seems to mess with Google’s page scoring quite a bit. Now if I were a new
user, oblivious to how certain things work (or a long time user, forgetting
how some specific things are done) a fast way to get there would be to ask your
local search machine.

But this will then often direct the user to the wrong version. If I were to
search for "lilypond beams" Google would send me to the docs for 2.21 (Qwant
and bing both give me 2.23 and 2.22 as top results, very nice!).

This will make looking up things harder for users who might be confused about
a lot already. So I suppose it might make sense to have some Documentation
aliases for the current stable and the current devel versions. Something like

lilypond.org/doc/stable/whatever

and

lilypond.org/doc/devel/whatever

This might over time lead to google & co sending users to the current docs by
default and not the one from now again over a year ago.

Just recently we had a list entry about Mensurstriche, where the user tried to
use the approach given in the 2.22 manual, while the new 2.24 documentation
has the much better way this can be done now in 2.24.

What is you people’s take on this idea?

Cheers,
Valentin