Re: nested \relative ?

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: nested \relative ?
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:50:19 -0800

This seems more or less equivalent to religiously putting \resetRelativeOctave at the beginning of every phrase IMO.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 2:15 PM Simon Albrecht <simon.albrecht@mail.de> wrote:
On 10/02/2023 19:22, Saul Tobin wrote:
> What is the reasoning behind having smaller relative blocks?

I agree that there are many factors in the workflow, project and
templates that influence this decision. I want to give just one example:
Piano score or similar with changing number and orientation of voices.

One way of setting that up (other staff would work the same): (this got
longer than I expected, sorry)

{
   %\oneVoice
   \relative { %{ some music %} }
   <<
     \relative {
       \voiceOne
       % more music
     }
     \new Voice \relative {
       \voiceTwo
       % parallel music
     }

   \oneVoice
   \relative {
     % continue main voice without worrying about which pitch is preceding
   }
   <<
     \relative {
       % independent polyphonic part
     }
     \\
     \relative {
       % can freely switch around voices during editing
       % without worrying about wrong pitches

Another way the same thing could be set up:

<<
   \new Voice = "default" {
     % one music _expression_ for everything that’s oneVoice
     \relative {
       % first section of music
       % then I choose to stay in the music _expression_ because it
       % immediately continues
       \voiceOne
       % second section
       \oneVoice
     }
     % now there’s a change of register, and instead of calculating
     % the number of octaves it is displaced, I just open a new
     \relative {
       % third section of music
     }
     % fourth section of music begins afresh, so I skip in this
     % music _expression_
     s32*7
   }
   \new Voice = "voiceOne" {
     \voiceOne
     % skips for first through third section
     \relative {
       % music for the fourth section, again just specify the first
       % pitch in absolute so I’m safe against future edits
   \new Voice = "voiceTwo" {
     \voiceTwo
     % skip a bit, but then...
     \voiceThree
     % I realise that I forgot a couple notes in voiceThree, but they
     % won’t influence any other pitches because of the independent
     % relative blocks
     \relative {
       % couple notes
     }
     % more skips
     \relative {
       \voiceTwo
       % second section
       % voiceXXX command inside or outside relative is of course
       % completely irrelevant and just personal preference
     }
     % skips
     {
       % fourth section is just a pedal point and doesn’t need
       % relative at all
       a,,,1~ 32.. 128 4

Best, Simon