Re: Flexible lyric alignment

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Flexible lyric alignment
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 10:38:54 -0500

Hi all,

I know many of you follow a “Do first” process… so even though that’s not my
process, here goes.  ;)

Here's a small example of this spacing “thorn”, and one way I might tweak it to
fix the problem.

Notes:
– I realize it's constructed to avoid the very issue(s) that Jean raises (i.e.,
there are no lyrics in the measures on either side of the main one)
– I realize the spacing I ended up with is not “perfect” (a.k.a. “enemy of the
good”)
– I realize there are at least a dozen other ways of tweaking the spacing to
accomplish the same goal (i.e., making the tuplet notes evenly spaced)
– I realize the fix to this constructed example wouldn't fix the OP's issue
(i.e., shifting the LyricText “out of the way”)

I just thought talking through a concrete example might bring clarity to what
has so far been a pretty abstract discussion.

My question: How can the tweak I've made here be automated *only considering
the notes and lyrics in question, and not worrying about what might [or might
not] happen once there are elements in the surrounding moments/measures that
might collide?

Very much looking forward to seeing what comes of this thread!
Kieren.

p.s. Jean: “Coincidentally” ;), this example also includes the problem we’ve
been discussing in the other thread, i.e., the inability to [natively] “inject”
a tweak at a specific moment (without the use of spacer skips).

%%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.23.14"

\paper {
  top-margin = 0.5\in
  left-margin = 0.5\in
}

spacecase_notes = { R1 a'8 8 \tuplet 3/2 { 8 8 8 } 4 4 R1 }
spacecase_lyrics = \lyricmode { This is spaced a bit poor -- ly! }

\markup "1. Raw output:"
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \new Voice = "melody" \spacecase_notes
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \spacecase_lyrics

}

\markup "2. Using NoteHead.extra-spacing-width to even out [only] tuplet note
spacing:"
tweaksTwo = {
  s1
  s4 \temporary \override Score.NoteHead.extra-spacing-width = #'(0.5 . 4) s4
\revert Score.NoteHead.extra-spacing-width
}
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \new Voice = "melody" << \spacecase_notes \tweaksTwo >>
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" \spacecase_lyrics

}
%%%%  SNIPPET ENDS