Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 21:18:19 +0100

Hi,

But I'm at a bit of a loss about your notion of a StaffMonoid. All sorts of math puns aside (a CommutativeStaffRing of nonzero characteristic especially for engraving _Le Spec de la Rose_ by Berlioz) - what do you mean by a StaffMonoid?
There is absolutely nothing besides the math pun. It was too tempting given that I know both Kieren and yourself have some background in that.

:-)

Just goes to show that it's possible to both get a joke completely and still miss it anyway. Lack of facial expressions is helpful in that regard.

I would put Span_arpeggio_engraver in StaffCollection. It makes sense for something intended at logically grouping staves, and doesn't harm after all: as long as the user does not \set StaffCollection.connectArpeggios, it has no effect.

Ok, done.

I also noticed that StaffCollection probably shouldn't have the Vertical_align_engraver, since this causes vertical spacing to be different. The original idea was that uncommenting in

\version "2.23.4"

bla = \repeat unfold 30 c'1

<<
  \new Staff \bla
%{
  \new StaffCollection \with {
    \override StaffSymbol.color = #blue
    instrumentName = Test
  }
%}
  <<
    \new Staff \bla
    \new Staff \bla

  \new Staff \bla

shouldn't change spacing at all.

Also, don't forget \alias StaffCollection in the definition of StaffGroup so users can write commands as \set StaffCollection.whatever = ... or \override StaffCollection.Whatever.whatnot = ... and have them work in all contexts that group staves.

Is that really desirable? I notice that PianoStaff is \alias'ed to GrandStaff, which makes sense somehow, but GrandStaff is _not_ \alias'ed to StaffGroup, and neither is ChoirStaff. (I have no preference in that regard, it's just I'm unsure about the consequences.)

Lukas