Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 211, Issue 44

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 211, Issue 44
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 18:32:59 +0200

On 6/12/20, Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> wrote:
> I’m not sure if \newSpacingSection is a nescessarily good idea, because it
> basically divides the score into parts of different spacing. And I’m not
> sure about that, but I think this may cause inconsequent spacing.

Well, IMO as soon as you start contradicting LilyPond’s decisions
you’re losing consistency anyway. \newSpacingSection may at least give
you some consistency at a local level (unlike adding skips as the OP
was understandably reluctant to do).

> (Also it is overly complicated for overriding a single bit auf spacing).

“Auf” oder “von”? :-)

> What we would  want to do is to remain in one sense of spacing and
> modify spacing only for single exceptions.

That is one way to do it (I actually hadn’t seen your message when I
posted mine; your mail client seems to be messing with subject lines,
as this message is another example).

Anybody who’s ever been using GNU LilyPond will tell you two things anyway:
- no matter where you look, there’s _always_ more than one way to skin a cat;
- no matter where you look, spacing algorithms are _always_ the single
most complex piece of LilyPond.

(Well actually I cheated a bit, because vertical spacing is certainly
even worse. But the point still stands for horizontal spacing within
systems.)

So your answer is certainly a good one; mine may be a bit simpler
although it may have its downsides, depending on taste.

Cheers,
-- V.