Re: Identify included files

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Identify included files
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 10:44:37 -0400

> On 26 May, 2020, at 6:13 PM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Because of the inability to collate multiple MIDI files, I've always
> renamed them. I tee the log into a nonce file, which I grep for their
> names in a postprocessing script. (I then trash the log unless there
> was an error code, in which case I leave it, renaming it foo.error.)

I’m beginning to think that this may be the way to go.  The article that Matt
linked makes some good points about when dependency files actually need to be
updated.  I hadn’t considered those points before and they lead to something
different from what the GNUMake manual suggests as far as building the
dependency files.  Implementing those ideas will require me to rework some of
what I’ve been doing, but also would open up the possibility to do things like
analyze the stderr from the compilation for messages which clearly identify the
output.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey