Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Dr Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:15:56 +0100

On Saturday, 28 March 2020 11:00:56 BST Peter Gentry wrote:
> I appreciate this is off topic but in these times of social isolation does
> anyone have any tips. Clearly latency is the main issue - I wonder could
> this be reduced by say hosting a Zoom meeting on a private router - maybe
> only one video for a conductor. Experience suggests that a latency of 25ms
> is not low enough.
>
> Regards Peter

We've been trying that, and so have Glasgow University Chapel Choir with
hilarious results. See

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?
story_fbid=3271515439543488&id=215071425187920

(At the end you discover they are really very good!)

Maybe try one of the low-latency programs like Jamulus?

http://llcon.sourceforge.net/index.html

What would be really good would be to find such an application which could
follow the conductor  and show a moving Lilypond score...

I don't trust Zoom anyway.  Why has it got more than 20000 open file
descriptors? What's it doing  with my files??

$ lsof | grep -i zoom | wc -l
20811