Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 19:55:26 +0100

Am Samstag, 28. März 2020 19:37 CET, antlists <address@hidden> schrieb:

> On 28/03/2020 11:00, Peter Gentry wrote:
> > I appreciate this is off topic but in these times of social isolation
> > does anyone have any tips. Clearly latency is the main issue – I wonder
> > could this be reduced by say hosting a Zoom meeting on a private router
> > – maybe only one video for a conductor. Experience suggests that a
> > latency of 25ms is not low enough.
> >
> > Regards Peter
> >
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0KiCXZ2IM0
>
> Stuff I've picked up elsewhere - avoid Firefox. I hate to say that, but
> the evidence is that one user on that and everyone else suffers.

It's not _that_ simple. This really depends on your video server software. Iff
you
use a SFU then either Firefox will have to send more data (which is limited
by your upstream bandwidth which usually is much smaller than your downstream
bandwidth) our your other clients will get only one resolution/audio codec. But
that has little or nothing to do with latency. BTW, Firefox does have
experimetal support
for Simulcast, you video solution just has to use it (many don't).
To the OP: there is an immanent latency in all network connections - packets
need to
pass through switches and routers, and let's not forget the speed of electrical
signals.
While one can get pretty low latency on local networks (Dante et al.) trying
live jamming
over the internet is pretty much impossible.

 Cheers, RalfD

--
Ralf Mattes

Hochschule für Musik Freiburg