Extending manual (was Re: metronome-mark-alignment)

From: Daniel Rosen
Subject: Extending manual (was Re: metronome-mark-alignment)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 00:31:08 +0000

This is better, but I still have trouble grasping precisely what it means, and
I think that has to do with my lack of knowledge about how the program actually
works. I've been using LilyPond for a long time so I have a pretty good grasp
of the syntax for creating a score, and I know how to find the stuff I don't
know off the top of my head; but my understanding of what happens once I've
finished the text file(s) runs more or less like this:

1. Click "Compile" button in Frescobaldi (or run program from command line)
2. *magic*
3. PDF exists

So it occurs to me that an overview "for Dummies(r)" of what really happens
during "step 2," on a conceptual level, might be helpful for someone like me. I
don't know if such an overview exists, or whether anyone has the time and
ability to write one; and, moreover, depending on how much basic computer
science it would need to cover, it might be outside the scope of this
community---I have no idea, I'm just spitballing. But if it is doable, I
suspect it would go a long way towards making the manual more readable for
non-programmers. (Obviously if it does exist, someone please point me to it.)

DR