Re: How to proofread?

From: Wol
Subject: Re: How to proofread?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 23:41:23 +0000

On 30/11/2019 15:35, Jinsong Zhao wrote:
Hi there,

It's may be some off topic. After a long struggle, I have nearly done the input of a sheet music. Then, I need to proofread it.

Generally, I split the screen into left and right frames, and put the score that Lilypond output and the original one into each frame, and read/compare notes one by one.

Is there any other ways you prefer to do proofread?

I proof-read as I go. I can't remember where it came from, but someone on the list said "create a variable mbreak, and use it everywhere the original manuscript has a line break. Set it to { \break } while you're entering the music, then set it to {} when you're done."

Like you, I have one window with the original scan, and obviously another with lilypond output, and a third with the lilypond source. But I always proof-read the score line by line - I enter a line, compile, proof-read, and move on to the next. Once I'm done, I null out mbreak and let lilypond format the score as it will.

I mostly do this to transpose parts seeing as I play the trombone, so the part may be in Bb treble clef, tenor clef, or bass clef, and I want to print it out in treble or bass.

I also separate out the notes from the layout, so once I've done/proofread my first part, when I do a second part I know the layout is correct so (and I've found the parts were wrong once) if the notes and repeats and double bars etc don't match up, I know that normally I've messed up the notes. (On that occasion, a previous copyist had messed up the bars ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol