Re: How to proofread?

From: mason
Subject: Re: How to proofread?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 08:31:56 -0800

On 11/30, Jinsong Zhao wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It's may be some off topic. After a long struggle, I have nearly done
> the input of a sheet music. Then, I need to proofread it.
>
> Generally, I split the screen into left and right frames, and put the
> score that Lilypond output and the original one into each frame, and
> read/compare notes one by one.
>
> Is there any other ways you prefer to do proofread?
>
> Best, Jinsong

After note entry, for my first round of proofreading I import Lilypond's
midi output into Musescore and play it back.  This

* changes the layout

* has per-track muting/soloing

* automatically scrubs though the score to follow playback

* strips out some things like dynamics

all of which I find useful for hearing errors and visually spotting
things that I missed while working with Lilypond's output.  I try to use
Musescore to make sure all of the pitches and rhythms are solid, and
then return to Lilypond's output for proofreading other score objects.

I also find that when I print the score and read through it on paper I
spot more errors than when viewing it on a computer screen.  I don't
like to waste paper, so I try to catch as many errors as possible at the
computer, but after that at least one or two rounds of printing out and
proofreading is necessary.

For scores with multiple staves, I find also that I notice different
errors while looking at the whole score from when I look at a part
containing just one staff, so I read it both ways.

If you have a fairly large monitor that can rotate 90 degrees
vertically, a vertical screen orientation can allow you to fit an entire
page to the screen, which I sometimes find preferable to scrolling
around.

I also have learned what kinds of errors I am most likely to make and to
miss while proofreading, such as octave displacement, and I look
specifically for errors like those.

Mason