Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:24:20 +0200

Hi Kieren,

sorry for the late reply.

Am So., 8. Sept. 2019 um 21:29 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden>:

> Hi Harm,
>
> Three questions on this [seemingly-ancient!] thread about your (wonderful)
> "dynamics on the fly" function:

You likely mean this thread:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/improving-Janek-s-dynamic-function-for-combo-dynamics-td205071.html

> 1. Have you, as you implied might happen, found better ways to do the same
> thing(s) in light of recent development efforts in the basecode?

As you may have imagined from the delayed response I hardly find time
to work with or on LilyPond these days.
Attached you'll find the file which I used for some serious
typesetting work (thus the file-name).
Not sure how much it goes beyond what I already had posted.
But it contains no really new approach.
There are explanations in the file, mostly in the comments in \layout
of the example and in the doc-string of `dynamicH´

> 2. How can I eliminate the resulting grob from quoted material? The normal
> attempts (e.g., \omit DynamicText) don’t seem to work all the time.

Could you post a minimal?

> 3. When the custom dynamic consists of a dynamic text and normal text, I’d
> like to add a tiny bit more space/padding between them. Where in the function
> can I do this? And would it be possible to adjust the kerning depending on
> which dynamic text is present?

The spacing between dynamic and normal text could be set in the
attached file with
DynamicText.details.outer-x-space

Not sure what you mean with your last question. Could you give an example?

I general I'm not sure when I'll find the time to look at it again.
But you never know ...

Best,
  Harm