Making a list argument reliably optional

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Making a list argument reliably optional
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:27:00 +0200

Hallo all

I'm having unexpected problems with a music function.
It takes several arguments, the first of which expects a list,
and should be optional.

Today it tripped up when run with a late 2.19 version and I narrowed this down to 2.19.39. It seemed to have trouble with the second parameter so I set up test cases where this varied, expecting a mixture of good and bad. But instead I got a confusing mixture of bad and bad, including a 2.18.2 failure. See listargtest.ly.

The music function chordRepeats has a similar first argument for event-types but that hasn't helped me see what I am doing wrong.
I suppose it's me or my computer that's wonky, so I would be glad of
a fresh eye or a second opinion.

Cheers,
Robin