Re: weird de-beaming behavior

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: weird de-beaming behavior
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 14:45:39 +0200

Am 20. Juni 2018 14:26:51 MESZ schrieb Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
>Well,
>
>This example is almost identical to your first example.  A beamed note
>is broken by a bar and break and the beam is broken.  Lily doesn't know
>how to beam them.  The 2 leftover notes are beamed in both examples -
>again i don't know why, but it's quite consistent behaviour and
>consistent with lily not knowing what you intend until you tell her.
>
>You could keep making odd examples of undefined beaming until the cows
>come home, but surely it would be a lot quicker just to beam
>manually???

The problem is that this break is conditional, so it's not clear before whether
there will be a break within the measure.

  \time 3/4
  c8 [ c c c c c ]

  Vs
  c8 [ c c c ] \bar "" \break c [ c ]

That looks like a prime case for the \choice command I'll be doing shortly.

Urs

PS: As to the *why* I have the vague recollection that beaming rules define
where beams can be *ended*. This would explain why the beam before the break
doesn't work but the one after does.