Re: global variables

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: global variables
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:49:57 +0100

On 01/15/2014 04:33 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
+1

I've also been doing this for many years.

I've started using global variables more recently but can highly recommend it!

On 01/15/2014 03:48 PM, jensgc wrote:
In effect - if there is someway to have \voiceA changed to \voiceAA in the
example below, it would be a lot easier to make the global skeleton that
seems to be needed.

voiceA = {
\time 2/4
  \tempo Hurtigere 4 = 126
  r4\mp gis, |
  \time 3/4
  gis gis ais |
  \time 2/4
  b b |
  \time 3/4
  ais cis b |
  ais2.\fermata ~ |
}
voiceAA = {
 \time 2/4
  R2  |
  \time 3/4
  R2. |
  \time 2/4
  R2  |
  \time 3/4
  R2. |
  R2. |
}

As far as I understand it you could use voiceA just as well as voiceAA as the global variable; i e this will work:

\score {

<<

\new Devnull \voiceA

\new Staff \voiceA

\new Staff \voiceB

}

I don't think this is recommendable as a general principle. But If you have an existing score and no convenient method of generating the empty global variable, this is still much simpler than putting the information in all the parts.

Best
Peter