Re: How to structure piano music?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to structure piano music?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 22:44:05 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> schrieb:
>Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Am 16.11.2013 20:34, schrieb Noeck:
>>> PS: What I forgot to ask:
>>> How can I solve the warnings about colliding note columns?
>>

>> \override NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t
>
>Those warnings are usually there for a good reason, mainly when
>multiple
>voices are being used without using \voiceOne/\voiceTwo/... for giving
>LilyPond the right cue how to resolve collisions.  Sometimes multiple
>voices are used when actually every element of the collision should
>have
>been in the same voice.

Of course. But particularly in piano music you regularly run into situations
where voices join to chords and where it would be impractical or inappropriate
to use chords plus spacer rests. That is where you'd rather continue voices but
make them all the same. Voice number. in particular that's always true for a
hidden voice used for cross-voice tying.
Actually I have this so often that I defined a command \ignoreCollision in my
library.

Urs