Re: Short stems [ATTENTION: INLINE IMAGES]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Short stems [ATTENTION: INLINE IMAGES]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:03:14 +0100 (CET)

>> LilyPond tries to mimick traditional engraving.  There are bugs,
>> however, saying "I find xx is too short" is not helpful.
>
> I thought I was fairly clear about the specifics―“I find the stem
> here awfully short because it makes the flag on the eighth note run
> into the note heads”―but I guess not. But the inline images (yes)
> shown below should resolve any confusion on the point.

Interesting.  The original scan shows a typography style which isn't
the standard LilyPond is referring to, namely scores typeset in
Germany in the early 20th century.  It appears much `lighter'; for
example, the stems are hardly touching the noteheads.  It's not
surprising that the lower flag (which has a very different shape, BTW)
isn't touching the noteheads either.

    Werner