what's the most "efficient" way of doing this?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: what's the most "efficient" way of doing this?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:55:11 -0500

Hello all,

Let's say I've got a series of RehearsalMark and MetronomeMark objects. I want
them to appear at (e.g.) three places in my score:

1. Above the top staff of my score, at "full size";
2. Above the string StaffGroup (about 2/3 of the way down the score), at "3/4
size"; and,
3. Below the last staff of my score, at "3/4 size".

My score is frenched, so the top staff will not always be the flute, the top of
the string StaffGroup will not always be the Violin 1, and the last line will
not always be the double basses.

I want to find the sweet spot of engraving efficiency, both for me (the least
work) and for Lilypond (the least impact on performance). I've got two basic
ideas on how to do this:

A.
    A1. Put the RehearsalMark and MetronomeMark objects in a separate variable
(using either skips or tags).
    A2. Add this variable (only) to contexts at the appropriate points in the
score.
    A3. Add this variable to all other contexts (for parts, etc.).

B.
    B1. Put the RehearsalMark and MetronomeMark objects in the main global
variable (which also includes \time, \bar, etc.).
    B2. Create a MarksOnly custom context, which only has the engravers
necessary to show RehearsalMark and MetronomeMarks, and let it "filter out"
everything else from the \global variable.
    B3. Put the \global variable in all other contexts (for parts, etc.).

C.
    C1. Move the relevant engravers from the Score context to the appropriate
contexts in my score.
    C2. Tweak the placement of the grobs as necessary.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kieren.