Re: removing non-empty staves

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: removing non-empty staves
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:47:34 -0800

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 08:25:12 -0800, <address@hidden> wrote:

        hideStaff = \set Staff.keepAliveInterfaces = #'()
        showStaff = \unset Staff.keepAliveInterfaces

Whom should I talk to to suggest putting getting these tweaks predefined in the
"shipping" installation of Lilypond and documented in the official Lilypond
manual?

This mailing list is a good place to talk about it.  Some similar cases came up up
recently in another mailing list
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/2012-08/msg00043.html> with
a related and very creative solution from Gilles.

An important bit to explain here is that these commands depend on \RemoveEmptyStaves.
Also, \hideStaff sounds similar to \hideNotes, which ensures space for the notes but
makes them invisible, so somebody might think \hideStaff does the same to the staff.  I
can't think of a better name, though ("\treatStaffAsIfEmpty" ? )

The LSR is a good place for people to find solutions like this.  This one, I
think, would probably be imported from the LSR into the manual, Notation
Reference section 1.6.2 Hiding Staves.