Re: extra spacing between staves and verses

From: Fr. Michael Gilmary
Subject: Re: extra spacing between staves and verses
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:51:43 -0400

Keith E OHara wrote:

Father Michael,
 I would consider Patrick's suggestion to be a good permanent method.

Thank you, Keith, for your help. I must say all of you on the lilypond list are most helpful, patient and kind --- esp. with someone like me who knows very little about music and computer stuff.

I'm most happy to use the \markup { " " } as suggested by Patrick.

If want more space at a few particular places, putting a " " space there seems clear in its purpose, so you will remember what it is for if you revise this year from now. You can adjust the gap by lowering the space with \markup\lower #7 " " . (When version 2.14 comes out, we can simplify this to \markup\vspace#6 to get exactly six staff-spaces.)

Just to make sure that you know, the 2.13.x versions are the experimental versions to be used for testing new features that will go into the next usable version 2.14. (By convention the versions odd numbers after the decimal are trials for the even numbers.) That means there will be bugs, but 2.13.37 appears very close to stable so it should be reasonably usable.

Actually, I'm trying to help clean up bugs in the spacing system, so I investigated this:

I've tried your sample file and still there is no
change whatsoever with the score-system-spacing values. I don't know why ---

The score-system-spacing settings handle the case when there is no markup text between scores. (If there is markup text, the LilyPond uses markup-system-spacing instead.)

Bill's helpful comment (with my minor correction)
piece="score-system-spacing affects spacing between 'scores' - but not between [markup like title, piece, etc.] and the score" was itself markup text, so adding it caused LilyPond to refer to markup-system-spacing instead.

Ahhhh ... mystery solved!

We have to appreciate the irony in that.

I'll send you something off-list that might interest you in irony and other figures of speech.

Many thanks to all. I hope you will accept the benefit of our prayers for all of you --- that's my job!

All this friendly help from the world of "free" software reminds me frequently of a saying of Jesus:
"Freely have you received, freely give" (Mt. 10:8).

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery