Re: elegant compound time signatures

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: elegant compound time signatures
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:34:35 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
> Hans: at the risk of sounding grumpy, did you try compiling my
> example?  I believe it does everything you want.

One thing your snippet doesn't display -- time signatures of the form,

3+3+2
  8

Is this possible?

The other alternative time signature form is something like

2½
4

(hope that character comes through on the email: it's a 1/2)

... which I think Grainger was first to use.

There are some other weird ones that I remember from e.g. Le marteau
sans maître, but off the top of my head I can't recall exactly the
written form.  Practically, they corresponded to time signatures like
4/6 (i.e. 4 triplet crotchets/quarter notes), but they were written
differently.

Are there options here?  (I already know that weird-but-'normal' time
signatures like 7/10, 4/6 etc. will work.)