Re: scheme music function going backwards in time (or"better mp dolce")

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: scheme music function going backwards in time (or"better mp dolce") [solved]
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:57:08 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:29 PM

I have an announcement to make: I'm an idiot.

No need to announce it ;)  But if you are so are most
of us.

In my defense, nobody *else* pointed out that \tweak was
*invented* for customizing engraving of the next object in the
input stream, as opposed to \override.

Well, it is in the manual under 5.3.4 The \tweak command, although the use of 'tweaks in the music stream in this
way is not mentioned.  I'll note it for adding later ...

The following lines fix
the "how do I backwards in time" problem:
      'tweaks
        (list (cons (quote X-offset) -1))

This version of the files now do the following:
- commands are placed after the note they belong to -- ie
 \pdolce behaves just like \p.  Except for the "dolce" part. :)
- commands use the correct amount of horizontal space.

Clever!  How can you think you're an idiot?  (But then,
you didn't really, did you?)

- the resulting object is (mostly) centered with the dynamic under
 the notehead.  Thoughts about improving this would be
 appreciated.
- it still only does /dynamic/ /string/ marks, and I think I'll
 leave it that way.  As Kieren pointed out, this reduces the
 number of possible misunderstandings when musicians read music,
 and I'm all about reducing misunderstandings.

The only problem is that the dynamics of the new
commands are not reflected in the MIDI output.  You
could fix this by including an overriding version of
of the default-dynamic-absolute-volume procedure in
/scm/midi.scm.  NR 3.5.5 Controlling MIDI dynamics
shows you how, but I think you would still need a Score-level override to activate it.

Cheers,
- Graham

Trevor