Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:06:55 -0600

On 2008-Feb-27, at 10:51, Anh Hai Trinh wrote:

Octave transposition seems a confusing, since transposition in music
usually implies that the passage is to be played in a different key.
Octave displacement does not change the key.

According to Harvard dict. of music 4th ed.:

Transposition. the rewriting or performance of music at a pitch other than the original one.

To my reading, this confirms exactly what I was saying: an "octavated" passage is NOT transposed, since the pitch is neither rewritten nor performed at a pitch other than the original one. It's simply that the (meaning/location of the) CLEF itself is altered by the octavation indicator.

In other words, consider the following snippet:

%%%  BEGIN SNIPPET
\version "2.11.37"
\include "english.ly"

musicClef = \relative
{
        f e d c \clef bass bf a g f
}

musicOct = \relative
{
        f e d c #(set-octavation -1) bf a g f
}

\score
{
        <<
                \musicClef
                \musicOct

}
%%%  END SNIPPET

It appears to me that you're saying the CLEF version of this is NOT "transposition", whereas the OCTAVATION version IS "transposition".

Am I correctly inferring your meaning?
If so, I'll warn you that you'll have a very hard time convincing me. ;-)

Cheers,
Kieren.