Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: David Fedoruk
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:49:06 -0800

Hello:

The only term I've ever heard in english for this is "octave
displacement" and its notation is 8va ...... dotted line over the
affected passage.

I lieu of any other acceptable english terminology I'd go with Groves
as it widely accepted as a standard English language reference work
for music. I believe that Groves in right in deferring to the Italian
since that is the usually accepted language for musical terminology.

Octave transposition seems a confusing, since transposition in music
usually implies that the passage is to be played in a different key.
Octave displacement does not change the key.

Cheers
David

--
David Fedoruk
B.Mus. UBC,1986

http://recordjackethistorian.wordpress.com
"Music is enough for one's life time, but one life time is not enough
for music" Sergei Rachmaninov