Re: multiple tempi in a single piece

From: Philippe Raynaud
Subject: Re: multiple tempi in a single piece
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:57:39 +0000 (UTC)

Kieran Coulter <kieran_coulter <at> canada.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,I am sure there is a way to do this, but maybe someone here has
already faced this challenge and can help show me how it can be done.My example
is the Bach Sinfonia from Partita #2. It has a Grave, Andante, and Allegro, but
the MIDI file plays all the sections at the same speed, 120bpm. I am looking for
a way to modify the .ly file so that it generats a MIDI file that plays the
Grave at say 40bpm, the Andante at 80bpm, and only the Allegro at 120bpm.I would
greatly appreciate any help to discover how to do this!Thanks,Kieran Coulter

Hello Kieran,
I am typing "erlkoenig" of Schubert and I have
- before the end an "accelerando"
- at the end a "recit." followed by an "andante"
I resolved this this way:
1) define as many identifiers as you need
% TEMPO VARIATIONS
tempoGrave = { \override Score.MetronomeMark #'transparent = ##t \tempo 4=40 }
tempoAndante = { \override Score.MetronomeMark #'transparent = ##t \tempo 4=80 }
tempoAllegro = { \override Score.MetronomeMark #'transparent = ##t \tempo 4=120
}

(each tempo will replace the precedent when you write it)

Then at its place, i.e. just before the measure where it applies, just write
\tempoGrave (or \tempoAndante and so on)
Here an example of my score adapted to yours):

% Measure 1
 \tempoGrave sol2^\markup { \bold \italic Grave } la4. la8 sol,2 r2
 r2 r4 re
 re2. re4
 \appoggiatura la'8 sol4 sol r sol
 sol2 la4. la8
%.....
% Measure 50
 \tempoAndante re4^\markup { \bold \italic Andante } re4 r re
 re2 sol4. re8
%.....
% Measure 90
 \tempoAllegro sib2^\markup { \bold \italic Allegro } r4 sib
 sib2 do
%.....
I hope it answers your question.
Phil.