Re: \rightHandFinger write numbers (not letters)

From: Yannick Patois
Subject: Re: \rightHandFinger write numbers (not letters)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:45:46 +0200

Really thanks for your answer :)

Valentin Villenave a écrit :
> 2007/7/2, Yannick Patois <address@hidden>:
> Hello Yannick; just in case you didn't know (I assume you're French),
> I inform you that there is a LilyPond French-speaking list right here:

Thanks, I'll have a look.

> When processing something like <do-1 \RH #3 >4, LilyPond finds both a
> number (1) and a letter (#3, i.e. "m"). The number takes precedence
> over the letter, so the letter isn't displayed at all.
> In other words, delete each fingering numbering when using \RH, and
> there won't be any problem.

Hum, now I understand better. But that's only the begining of the
problem, then ;)

The left hand numbers shouldnt be confused with the right hand fingers:
they can both be applied to a single note and should be displayed as
such. <do-1 \RH #3 >4 means "first" left finger (index) and 3rd (middle)
 finger on the right hand. We could even add the string (likely \2 in
that case) for that same note. Every indication has its own value, and
one should not replace another (it's as if one had to choose between
displaying note duration or alteration, one dont dont want to choose,
both are needed).

So, how to display both indications?

>> I wonder about the exact inheritance
>> properties of the various setting of Lilypond
>
> Short answer: your choice! Try to always ask yourself in which
> "context" your properties are set. Here, If you want your setting to
> apply to the whole score (at least, until you set it differently),
> simply specify:
>
>  \set Score.fingeringOrientations = #'(down)

Thanks, that's what I was looking for!

>> My last question is about polyphony. I dont understand what is the best
>> way to represent it.
>
> There are many ways to do it. Nested << >> are fine, but the \\ is
> sometimes to be avoided.
> A more "official" way is to use the \new command to create different
> Voices; feel free to experiment and find you own way.
> You'll find more about it in the 6.3 "Polyphony" section of the manual
> (which, by the way, has been translated).

If creating voices is the right way, I'll do that. And for polyphony
inside a voice? If it's a single chord, < mi sol do  > seems fine, but
If the mi last longer than the two others?

> Regards (hope to see you soon on the French list!)

Thanks for the help.

The french list doesnt seemd to be on gmane, btw.

        Yannick