Re: \rightHandFinger write numbers (not letters)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: \rightHandFinger write numbers (not letters)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:09:04 +0200

2007/7/2, Yannick Patois <address@hidden>:
Hi,

Hello Yannick; just in case you didn't know (I assume you're French),
I inform you that there is a LilyPond French-speaking list right here:

We'd be happy to see you there (but here too, don't get me wrong ;).

The main problem is that righthand fingering are displayed as numbers,
not letters, this does not correspond to the documentation as I
understand it.

Of course they are; you *do* specify numbers!
When processing something like <do-1 \RH #3 >4, LilyPond finds both a
number (1) and a letter (#3, i.e. "m"). The number takes precedence
over the letter, so the letter isn't displayed at all.
In other words, delete each fingering numbering when using \RH, and
there won't be any problem.

I wonder about the exact inheritance
properties of the various setting of Lilypond

Short answer: your choice! Try to always ask yourself in which
"context" your properties are set. Here, If you want your setting to
apply to the whole score (at least, until you set it differently),
simply specify:

 \set Score.fingeringOrientations = #'(down)

(by default, I think the property refers to the Voice context; this is
why its effect didn't last longer than your small individual sections)

My last question is about polyphony. I dont understand what is the best
way to represent it.

There are many ways to do it. Nested << >> are fine, but the \\ is
sometimes to be avoided.
A more "official" way is to use the \new command to create different
Voices; feel free to experiment and find you own way.
You'll find more about it in the 6.3 "Polyphony" section of the manual
(which, by the way, has been translated).

PS. I've just seen your second mail; I think I've already answered it :)

Regards (hope to see you soon on the French list!)

Valentin