Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

I'm finally doing some serious printing of the 70 pages of lilypond scores
I've been entering for the past month.  The output looks great and I can
address all the issues I have except one...

There is a problem with notes that both start a measure and have an
accidental.  What happens is that the accidental comes in contact with the
bar line.  This makes the accidental, (especially naturals), look like a
blob of ink splatter attached to the bar line.

Is there a way that I can specify a MINIMUM padding that should exist at the
start of each measure, whereby lilypond would only apply that padding if it
were not already there?  Also since I would hate to have to re-edit all 70
pages finding accidentals at the start of measures.  Is there a way that I
can apply this "minimum begin measure padding" globally in the score layout
block?

thanks for any help with this problem, (I can't be the first one to notice
it).

v2.9.17

Rick