Re: pygment regex question

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: pygment regex question
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:32:48 +0100

Hi Werner,

In the NR, most such functions have its argument starting with `#`,
for example

```
\ottava #-2
```

Are there still cases where `#` is mandatory for numbers?  Otherwise
the documentation could be updated to remove all `#`.

Yes, there are: In markup, for example.

\markup \fontsize 3 Hi

is still illegal.

I'm all for removing the # escape (and string quotes and/or #' for symbols) in the documentation where it's possible; my own LilyPond style feels much more relaxed since I found out how many of those I can omit.

\version "2.23.10"

\removeWithTag dyn \new Staff = upper {
  \tag dyn <>\mf
  \ottava -1
  a4_boringly
}

But of course there's always the danger of beginners tripping up on this because they do not recognise the situations where #/'/"" are still needed.

Lukas