LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-ba

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 20:26:10 +0200

[Starting a new thread to avoid hijacking the other one.]

Le 24/10/2020 à 17:09, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :

More to the point: I’m a Lilypond power-user, and I don’t currently suggest Lilypond for
any of my college or private students. If there were a free, web-accessible,
"code-free" GUI for Lilypond, I would 100% recommend it to all my students. I
would also immediately suggest it as the de facto standard for all the colleges where I
am on faculty. Ergo: an open-source license would IMMEDIATELY help in its success. QED  ;)

Hi Kieren,

Out of curiosity, did you ever try teaching or in any way introducing
LilyPond to your students?

I am pretty interested in how people learn LilyPond. My own experience
from discovering it around 15 is that I was able to enter simple music
quickly; however, adding staves, instrument names and creating polyphony
caused many hardships (\voiceTwo is not the second voice!, etc.) I wonder
if it'd be a good idea to organize one-time presentations, courses, this
sort of things, for music students − composers are among the primary types of
LilyPond users after all.

What's your experience?

Cheers,
Jean