Re: experimental code on Gitlab (bend-spanner repository)

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: experimental code on Gitlab (bend-spanner repository)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 09:33:12 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 23.09.2020, 00:07 +0200 schrieb Federico Bruni:
> Hi
>
> I'm writing to ask the permission to place some "experimental" code in
> a repository within the LilyPond group.
> The project would be called bend-spanner, so the link would be:
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/bend-spanner
>
> Of course the description would highlight that it's a work in progress
> of a new feature which may be included in LilyPond eventually, when
> it's mature enough.
>
> The author of the code is Harm.

which is mentioned nowhere in the code, at least not in the comments I
scanned.

> I'm only the "git maintainer", as Harm
> posted the files on lilypond-user mailing list but never in a
> repository.
> I decided to put it in a git repository to make things easier for any
> potential user.
>
> It's currently hosted here:
> https://pagure.io/lilypond-bend-spanner
>
> Why moving it to Gitlab?
>
> - It would have more visibility for users as well as developers.
> - Perhaps Harm may start working on that repository instead of posting
> files on the mailing list :-) as he has an account on Gitlab. Well, if
> he doesn't, I'll keep up my git maintainer role.

My 2 cents: With that motivation, I'm against moving it to GitLab. You
wrote it's still work in progress and that you're not willing to adapt
the code for OLL or LilyPond proper. I don't see a reason to give this
a more official flavor by putting it into the organization.

Jonas