Re: GSoC 2020 update: Aug 7

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020 update: Aug 7
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 07:06:12 +0200

Hi Owen,

it's always a pleasure seeing your project evolve and proceed. I'd like
to throw in a comment, although I'm rather sure it isn't actually
needed.

Am Freitag, den 07.08.2020, 21:49 -0700 schrieb Owen Lamb:
> Hi all!

> --turned out to be a major point of difference between
> LilyPond's and SMuFL's treatment of flags.
>
> I've slightly modified my general project approach,

> The school year is almost upon us here in AZ, and, as I mentioned at
> the
> beginning of summer, there'll be some overlap with GSoC. I'll be out
> for
> the count for a couple weekdays next week, so I'll pick up Saturday
> to make
> up for it. After that, I expect to be doing more night/weekend hours
> as
> classes start up the following week on the 20th.
>
> My plan is largely the same as it was last week. If you have any
> questions/concerns, as always, feel free to ask away!

I don't recall reading anything about it but probably you have thought
about it right from the start, so please take this as just a friendly
reminder.

Now that the deadline of the project starts coming into view you should
keep in mind that the priority is to have your work properly tested,
cleaned-up and merged. This is much more important than getting one or
more further features implemented - even if they should be your pet
features or seem crucial.
As far as I can see your work so far has been extremely useful, and it
will remain so even if at the end of GSoC it's not in a state that
every user can use it out-of-the-box.
OTOH if I understood the recent discussion about merging and rebasing
correctly your code itself has not been reviewed at all so far? In that
case you should definitely expect the review process to take longer
than you initially expect... Even without serious issues the review
process for getting anything into LilyPond is somewhat time-consuming.

So I encourage you to plan from the end backwards and don't push the
possibly tedious and boring tasks of finalizing your work too much away
.

Best
Urs