Re: non web_version of web.texi ?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: non web_version of web.texi ?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 14:54:31 -0700

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 10:38:50PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> is there any other function of web.texi besides producing the
> lilypond.org website? I would like to get rid of the "-D web_version"
> distinction, that is making web_version always be true for the web
> document. Is there any reason to not do this?

IIRC there was an argument that all lilypond docs should be
available via info(1) and pdfs, and some parts of the website
qualified as "docs".  The general intro to our manuals, for
example.  Related commits:
ac3d9e3f836a56977ca09f89e7ffcfc189711743
a060fc94b65dbc25a7e1ec20f2f79a58036a2546
(general.texi was later renamed to web.texi)

The argument on the mailing list was probably in 2009, although
just possibly it was late 2008 instead.  I think that my original
idea was to just produce the html, while the person(s) who wanted
to have all docs available offline where you, Jan, John Mandereau,
and/or David Kastrup.  (It was definitely an emacs user!)
A few months later, I was glad that I lost that argument, as it
provided a "starting point" to the dozen or so pdf manuals.

I'm not aware of the current state & usage of lilypond docs, so I
have no position on whether it's worth keeping the "full offline
capability".  If there's a serious desire to make web.texi
HTML-only, then it might even be worth adding that to the tarball
of pdfs (if those are still being distributed).

Cheers,
- Graham