Re: labels on GitLab

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: labels on GitLab
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 12:05:42 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2020, 10:24 +0100 schrieb James:
> Hello
>
> On 13/05/2020 07:15, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > So I think we should just have some kind of policy where to discuss
> > things first.
>
> OK would there be any objection to removing the 'countdown-specific'
> labels (i.e. new/review/countdown/push) from closed issues, or issues
> that have been abandoned or have duplicate by them.
>
> e.g.
>
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=closed&label_name[]=Patch%3A%3Apush
>

> Later issues would not (or should not) have the push label assigned to
> them but just 'fixed' or 'abandoned' or 'duplicate' labels.
>
> While I know this may generate a lot of email noise, it will make things
> clearer for me.
>
> Ditto for those closed issues with 'review' label.

In favor for Patch::new, Patch::review, Patch::countdown, and
Patch::push on closed issues. Not sure about Patch::abandoned and even
less about Patch::needs_work - these might still contain some work that
could be revived later on. However I haven't looked through them yet.

Regarding email noise, I think only removing a label will not send
notifications. We can even do so very efficiently by "bulk editing"
those issues: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/bulk_editing.html

Regards
Jonas