Re: labels on GitLab

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: labels on GitLab
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 08:15:02 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 12.05.2020, 17:00 +0000 schrieb Trevor:
> Jonas wrote 12/05/2020 13:42:46
>
> > In my opinion, there are currently far too many labels on GitLab. To
> > avoid the situation getting worse, please do not create new labels out
> > of thin air for now. Instead we should first contemplate on what we
> > really need and configure this appropriately. (Adding a label for every
> > possible warning that could be fixed is not helpful.)
>
> +1
>
> Labels are most useful when they form a limited set. That way we all know
> what they are and what they mean. Inventing new labels is not really helpful
> as they can rarely be applied to anything else and after a short while no one
> knows they exist or what they mean.
>
> Is there any way of limiting the set of labels which may be applied? That
> would also eliminate spelling mistakes as well as making selecting Issues
> by label more reliable.

Every user with at least "Reporter" permission level can add labels:
https://gitlab.com/help/user/permissions#project-members-permissions
That's not bad per se, and I'm not a fan of restricting everybody to
the smallest set of action they require.

That said, the situation is far better than on SourceForge: In the
GitLab UI you can only select existing labels. If you have a typo, the
dropdown will simply be empty and you need to explicitly click "Create
project label". If I remember correctly on SF, it would just create the
label without asking you which is likely responsible for the
inconsistency we have right now.

So I think we should just have some kind of policy where to discuss
things first.

Jonas