Re: scripts/build/scan-mf-deps: script to generate MF dependencies (issu

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: scripts/build/scan-mf-deps: script to generate MF dependencies (issue 553700043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 14:47:49 +0000

On 3/15/20, 8:39 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Han-Wen Nienhuys"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM <address@hidden> wrote:

    > What I'm not really happy with is replacing all of this with custom
    > Python scripts, however small they are. Skimming over scan-mf-deps.py,
    > that looks totally doable in around half the lines with a sh script.
    > What's the motivation to use Python for all of this?

    What's the motivation to use sh for all this?

    You can certainly make it shorter with shell, but will it be
    significantly simpler, easier to understand or easier to maintain?

    I decided for Python in this case, because recursion seems like
    something I don't want to do in a sh script.

Personally, I'm totally in favor of using python for creating ninja files.  We
have a well-documented, well-maintained, powerful language.  No different
flavors (bash, sh, dash, csh, ksh...).

Reading the docs,  ninja looks promising as a build system.  Seeing that it's
used to build Chrome gives me some warm and fuzzy feelings.  Years ago I hoped
we could use Scons to smooth things out, but it got swamped in performance
issues.  We have some hope that Ninja won't suffer the same fate.

I'm excited to see what comes out of this.

Thanks,

Carl