Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options"
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 23:09:51 -0600

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 2:02 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm still not convinced that we need compatibility code, but I'm happy
> with anything that gets us to a release and is not technically wrong.

By the way, from a Debian package maintainer point of view, breaking
backward compatibility is OK as long as it is documented, so if
breaking backward compatibility makes the code cleaner, more correct,
and/or easier to maintain for the future, I'd say "please break
compatibility"!

But of course, if that's the case, please document the change in
INSTALL.txt or something like that, and say something like "Warning
(especially for packagers): New instructions for building, different
from 2.20.0!  Please read INSTALL.txt" in the release notice on
http://lilypond.org/news.html would be quite sufficient.  ;-)

Cheers,
Anthony