Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 23:32:45 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/8/20, 3:30 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Marnen Laibow-Koser"
> <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:10 PM Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     > > Why would there be a synchronization issue? I’m not sure I under stand
>     > the problem you’re envisioning.
>     >
>     > Because I'd be building the documentation and the website and all the
>     > other binaries, and you'd be building 64-bit Mac.  If I release 2.21.2
> (for
>     > instance) and it's not already on the website as a 64-bit Mac build, it
>     > will be a dead link.  So we would need a system to synchronise GUB
> builds
>     > and 64-bit Mac builds.
>     >

>     Wouldn’t they all be triggered off the same Git event?
>

> It seems to me that nightly (or git commit related) builds would have
> the version of the *next* unstable release.

Would have the version _number_.  That does not mean that the actual
version would not actually contain more commits.

> So a script on Marnen's site that builds an app bundle and uploads it
> to lilypond.org would have the release already on the website *before*
> the GUB build was released.

Would have _something_ already on the website _purporting_ to be the new
version.  Whether it actually _is_ the new version depends on timing and
luck.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".