Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:49:26 +0100 (CET)

> The download size for the notation manual comes out at 35MB which is
> about double than what we had for 2.16.  I actually find that
> somewhat irritating.  I'd have to check the old conversations about
> extractpdfmark and see whether this is indeed where our change of
> text fonts would have placed us even after the extractpdfmark work.
> Though I do seem to remember that the subsetting problem depended on
> the kind of font used, and the newer fonts were in a different form.

What exactly are you talking about?  The file

  https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf

currently has a size of approx. 6.9MByte.  If I optimize this with the
`pdfsizeopt` script, it can be further reduced to 4.9MByte – we should
probably seriously consider using this script for the PDF files that
are to be downloaded from lilypond.org.

  https://github.com/pts/pdfsizeopt

(BTW, the `pdfsizeopt` maintainer looks for a volunteer or some
funding to make a transition to python3.  Another specialty is that
the script needs gs 9.21 or so since newer GS versions dropped some
essential functionality needed for processing.  This sounds very
familiar to our issues with ghostscript...)

    Werner