Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 19:37:43 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 11.02.2020, 14:37 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Am Dienstag, den 11.02.2020, 14:27 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
> > Jonas Hahnfeld <
> > address@hidden
> >
> > > writes:

> > > Well no, I'm relying on GitLab magic here - my script attached for
> > > reference.
> > > But I think I see what's going on: When the script migrated issue #34,
> > > the referenced issues were not there yet and apparently GitLab does
> > > some evaluation when the text is posted. If I migrate the issue now
> > > (see
> > > https://gitlab.com/lilypond-issues/lilypond/issues/5742
> > >
> > > ), the
> > > links work - also note how "#25" in the first comment comes live.
> > > (I manually edited two comments in the original #34, so these do work
> > > now. The reference to "Issue 1302" is still broken though as I didn't
> > > touch that comment.)
> > >
> > > Unfortunately this means that my strategy to create the issues "in
> > > order" doesn't work because comments can reference later issues that
> > > were created in the mean-time. So instead I'll try to first create all
> > > issues and then migrate all comments. That doesn't work for later edits
> > > of the issue description, but that should be the minority.
> > > I'll wait a few days for other problems before starting another
> > > attempt.
> >
> > May I point out the tool-to-use for this task?
> >
> > File: coreutils.info,  Node: tsort invocation,  Prev: ptx invocation,  Up:
> > Operating on sorted files
> >
> > 7.6 ‘tsort’: Topological sort
> > =============================
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Now of course the non-linear manner of being able to update issues and
> > the desire to have cross-reference means that we _will_ have cycles.  So
> > this is not a cure-all, and cycles may need reediting the issues that
> > are broken by cycles.  But at least for the more linear reference
> > chains, this should be a good help.
>
> Let me look into how many issue descriptions actually reference other
> issues. If there are none (or at least none that reference earlier
> issues), we can just be happy with the two-stage approach of migrating
> all issues first and add the comments in a second step.

Of course there are references, and sure enough some of them are
circular - see attached list. Most of them are fine if the migration
script creates the issues in order. The ones that are not:
23-Issue #636 references #498
24:Issue #650 references #651 - ERROR
25-Issue #651 references #650
26:Issue #663 references #664 - ERROR
27-Issue #664 references #663
--
105-Issue #1387 references #1365
106:Issue #1395 references #1396 - ERROR
107-Issue #1396 references #1395
--
174-Issue #2130 references #2057
175:Issue #2141 references #2142 - ERROR

So there's nothing we can do for 650/651, 663/664, 1395/1396, and
2141/2142, I would propose to just manually fix the links.
The other two are actually false positives:
#2634 references a Python bug report, and #3847 is meant to link to
issue #355.

So, no topological sorting needed as far as I can see.
Jonas