Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:26:45 +0100

Am Freitag, den 07.02.2020, 10:36 +0100 schrieb Urs Liska:
> I think this is an extremely good point. Being able to squash upon merge,
> with or without merge commit, in combination with being able to automate that
> as a staging branch with final test, seems a very good idea to me.

Possibly in the future, but not under the proposal that I wrote.

> This integration of tools can be handled completely independently from any
> policies about the review process or countdown etc.
>
> To recap at this point: the worry about gitlab.com is similar to that wrt
> guthub: their TOS won't give us a substantial amount of trust in continuity
> of service.

True, but there is an important difference: GitLab (at least the
community edition) is fully open-source. So if we take periodic backups
(ie exports) we can do two things should the need arise:
1) Setup our own GitLab (and be it only until migration to another
platform is complete)
2) Extract the needed data from the export, as we already have it
exported from gitlab.com

Jonas