Re: Doc: Some miscellaneous suggestions from Peter Toye (issue 579280043

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: Doc: Some miscellaneous suggestions from Peter Toye (issue 579280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 12:02:09 +0000

Saturday, February 8, 2020, 6:07:23 PM, you wrote:

>>> ???  I use Emacs to read my e-mail, and emacs is configured to use
>>> the font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' on my GNU/Linux box.  This font
>>> contains Cyrillic glyphs...
>>
>> I composed that line in the email using CMU Concrete.  Presumably
>> your email client changes that.

> You have (correctly) sent a plain text e-mail, which doesn't preserve
> any font information...

Odd - I thought I'd sent it as text + HTML precisely to preserve the font! Oh
well.

>>> None of those fonts contain Cyrillic glyphs.
>>
>> OK, that's fine by me. I was confused as earlier emails referred to
>> the font family,

> Just for clarification.  A font family 'Foo'
> traditionally consists of
> 'Foo Regular', 'Foo Bold', 'Foo Italic', and
> 'Foo Bold Italic'.  Some
> font families contain *much* more series – Computer Modern (CM) is
> such an example[1] – others contain only a
> single one.  The PDFs as
> produced by texinfo use CM (plus some other, additional fonts, as
> mentioned in a previous e-mail).

> Note that 'CMU Concrete' is a completely
> different thing; while based
> on CM, it is not part of it.  With 'part of it' I mean that
> historically it wasn't part of the fonts that TeX has started many
> years ago.

I know nothing about the history of TeX or fonts. Thanks for the info.

>> not the version of the font that are used in the documentation
>> project, which you tell me is a subset.

> What I'm talking about has nothing to do with font versions.

I suggest that we now close this discussion as I was completely wrong in my
understanding of CM fonts, their glyph set and their relation with LilyPond
documentation.