Re: Doc: Some miscellaneous suggestions from Peter Toye (issue 579280043

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Doc: Some miscellaneous suggestions from Peter Toye (issue 579280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 06:03:15 +0100 (CET)

> Теноры

> Very odd - I've just installed a CMU font and it's got all the
> Russian alphabet.

What exactly do you mean with 'installing'?  I'm talking about the
creation of PDF files using xelatex, using only standardized fonts
(this is, avoiding fonts that are accidentally present on your
system).

> See the line above which is in CMU Concrete!

???  I use Emacs to read my e-mail, and emacs is configured to use the
font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' on my GNU/Linux box.  This font contains
Cyrillic glyphs...

> Are you sure that you've got all of the font installed?

It seems there is a fundamental misunderstanding.  We want to
*restrict* the fonts used for creating the documentation to an exactly
defined set so that you get identical PDFs regardless on which
platform they are built.  By default, texinfo uses the 'Computer
Modern' (CM) family; for some additional glyphs the 'EC' and 'feym*'
font families get used.  None of those fonts contain Cyrillic glyphs.

Note that music snippets in the PDF are handled differently.

    Werner