Re: Add Code of Conduct [Another RFC or not now?]

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct [Another RFC or not now?]
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 08:55:54 -0600

I think the Code of Conduct discussion is reaching (or has reached) the point of exhaustion and is unlikely to be productive if continued further in current directions. It seems there is pretty strong opposition to adopting the Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct as originally proposed.

I'm thankful for the occasion to self-reflect on Lilypond's discussion environment. I've been thinking about this a lot. A point was made earlier that the expectation of having Codes of Conduct in open-source communities is not going to go away. In that case, I think it would be best to "fill the vacuum" and adopt something everyone finds acceptable. That, as opposed to having a sufficiently-influential outside party demand adoption of a Code the community doesn't want, as happened to the SQLite project.

In the spirit of the recent "RFC" posts that explore different future directions, I think I could soon propose something for a Code of Conduct. (It draws on some centuries-old traditions of community conflict resolution.)

However, I'd like to hear from David Kastrup and James Lowe first. To me, their opposition registered as the strongest.

Question: Would this opposition apply to all Codes of Conduct as a matter of principle? Or just to the particular one that was proposed, and you'd consider supporting a more-acceptable alternative?

And, would you like to see an alternative proposal...

* Soon
* Later
* Please never

I'm not going to propose anything now if it's felt the entire issue needs a rest for the moment.

--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA