Re: Issue 4550: Avoid "using namespace std; " in included files (Take 2)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Issue 4550: Avoid "using namespace std; " in included files (Take 2) (issue 579240043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 17:17:40 +0100

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 4:43 PM <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Well, I should be able to handle them well enough.  It would be
> > > preferable if Han-Wen would provide Git-formatted patches (Rietveld
> is
> > > missing out on commit messages unless you consider scooping them up
> from
> > > the description as such, and while I would make sure that issue
> numbers
> > > are in the title lines, I think future rebases/merges at least for
> > > Han-Wen himself would work better if I work from original commits
> rather
> > > than original diffs).  And then it makes little sense distributing
> those
> > > patches to more than one person.
> >
> > this goes back to what we discussed in Salzburg, namely that our
> > tooling is clumsy. Having a gerrit or GH/GL based workflow would let
> > us review and exchange diffs as native Git commits, which simplifies a
> > lot of things.
> >
> > I'm happy to push my stuff to some git branch somewhere, if that helps
> you.
>
> I wasn't in Salzburg, but why can't you push to staging as everybody
> else does? It's not harder than pushing to a random branch and you
> obviously have all commits locally, don't you?

I am lazy, and quite busy :-)

There is a certain amount of process to follow; especially the part
where I have to wait for a couple of days for the countdown to
complete is something I lack the patience for.  Also, I now have 26
outstanding patches; coordinating this with rietveld LGTMs and
countdowns is a bit of a bother.

If y'all think that I should be allowed to bypass process, then that
would simplify things, obviously, but I also make mistakes that the
process is designed to catc.

> > BTW, Why do we insist in associating each review with a http://sf.net
> issue,
> > even if there is no related bug?
>
> I think there's no initial message for a new patch here, so there needs
> to be a place where new patches go and others can see them.

Git-CL gets a token, so presumably, it could also post a request to
press the 'm' button