Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 08:40:24 +0100 (CET)

>> The lilypond-devel version [of MacPorts] lists gcc8 as a library
>> dependency,
>
> This is because lilypond can only be compiled with gcc and not with
> clang, contrary to most other software of MacPorts.  The compiler
> whitelist of the `lilypond-devel' Portfile starts with gcc8;
> however, it will compile with all gcc versions >= 4.7.

I've just remembered that the MacPorts man page of the `port'
packaging manager shows the following.

  PACKAGING ACTIONS
    There are also actions for producing installable packages of
    ports:

    pkg
        Creates a macOS installer package of portname.

    mpkg
        Creates a macOS installer metapackage of portname and its
        dependencies.

    dmg
        Creates an Internet-enabled disk image containing a macOS
        package of portname.

    mdmg
        Creates an Internet-enabled disk image containing a macOS
        metapackage of portname and its dependencies.

See also

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/using.binaries.html#using.binaries.binary-packages

for more details.

I haven't tried this (and I probably won't in the very near future due
to time constraints – on my macOS 10.7.5 I have to compile everything
manually and can't download the ready-to-run packages from MacPorts
hosts), but perhaps one of those commands could be used to create
distributable, stand-alone versions of the command line version of
LilyPond for various macOS versions.

    Werner