Re: GSOC and stylesheet work

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSOC and stylesheet work
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:11:29 +0100

Hi Daniel,

Am 27.02.19 um 15:00 schrieb Daniel Benjamin Miller:
Hi all:

I'm an undergraduate student at McGill University. As I've personally wanted to tweak LilyPond to improve the stylistic output of my scores, I was hoping to do some work on LilyPond this summer, perhaps through GNU's involvement in GSOC. I have some background in font design (although mostly with outline fonts, not METAFONT, as I've only messed around with that), and would be interested in improving either the font or stylesheet support (so, sort of touching on two suggestions in the project list from last year).

Great. Be assured that the project suggestions listed on http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html are strictly that: suggestions. There's absolutely nothing speaking against tailoring an alternative project.

My main caveat is that I'm not especially experienced in Scheme (mostly having just messed around with it for LilyPond purposes), though I'm eager to learn more and interested in working on these issues, esp. if a mentor is available.

Are there any comments/suggestions on the current status of these components and what I might be best advised to look at/work on?

This is a bit difficult to assess since you give us a pretty sparse idea of your skillset. "Not especially experienced in Scheme" is a bit vague, especially as we have no idea what "eager to learn more" would turn out in practice.

If you're interested in font design there would be no way around dealing with METAFONT, the other options will require dealing with Scheme and/or C++, to various extents. Do you have any experience with C++?

If you should be heading toward a project that requires dealing with Scheme you should maybe try to familiarize yourself with it and show yourself and us how that would be going.

AFAICS with any projects in the realm of fonts/stylesheets there would be mentors available, so you can go ahead and try to figure out somewhat more concretely what you might be interested in.

Best
Urs

Thanks!

DBM