Re: Microrhythm

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Microrhythm
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 23:46:45 +0200

> On 14 May 2018, at 01:28, Dave Tremblay <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi, I just found out about your software, and I love it! Great work, and very
> powerful tool. However, I wonder if it would be possible to make it play, or
> at least display, microrhythms, as there are no available option that I know
> of, and your software seems to me to be the likely candidate for that.
>
> If you want a little wrap-up about what microrhythm is, I’ve written this
> post on my blog not so long ago:
> http://canthisevenbecalledmusic.com/advanced-mathematics-2-microrhythms/
> <http://canthisevenbecalledmusic.com/advanced-mathematics-2-microrhythms/>

It looks as though LilyPond should be able to handle this fairly easily,
because it handles the durations internally as rational numbers. So you have
two equally long sequences of durations a = (a_0, ..., a_k) and b = (b_0, ...,
b_k) and want to morph between them using a parameter t in the closed interval
[0, 1]. So just form (1 - t)a + t b, with also t a rational number.